The Howe Yoon Chong PSA scholarships are to honour the late Mr Howe Yoon Chong, a visionary Singaporean who has made significant contributions to Singapore, including the building of Singaporean first container terminal.
One of the many positions that Mr Howe held was as Chairman of the then Port of Singapore Authority. To honour him, PSA has set up a SGD 16 million endowment fund, with contributions from PSA , Temasek Holdings and NSL Ltd. (formerly known as NATSTEEL LTD), to award bond free scholarships to Singapore citizens. The scholarships will pay for tuition and other compulsory fees and provide book and living allowances.
The fund is under the auspices of Trailblazer Foundation Ltd, a registered charity under the purview of the Commissioner of Charities of Singapore. It is also an approved Institution of a Public Character (IPC).
Objectives of the Scholarships
To provide Singaporeans from lower income families financial assistance to upgrade themselves through attaining formal qualifications and or technical skills.
Scope of the Scholarships
The scholarships will be opened to Singapore citizens aged 25 and below who qualify and gain admission to any of the following institutions:
- Institutes of Technical Education
- The Polytechnics
- Nanyang Technological University
- National University of Singapore
- SIM University
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
There will be no restriction on the course of study. However, all courses applied for must be supported by the Ministry of Education (MOE) tuition grant subsidy.
The following criteria will be used in the selection of the scholars:
- Financial background – applicant’s household per capita income should not exceed SGD 750 per month
- Academic results – at least B average
- Track records in Co-curricula Activities (CCA)
- Participation/ Demonstrated ability/ Contributions in any of the following areas:
- Leadership and entrepreneurial skills
- Community work
- Innovation in science and technology
The scholarships will support full time study at the following levels:
- Basic Degree (up to honors level)
- Diploma/ Higher/ Advanced/ Specialist Diploma
- Certificate/ Higher Certificate
Quantum of Scholarships
The scholarships will pay for:
- Annual tuition and other compulsory fees (based on MOE tuition grants rates)
- Living allowance – SGD 300 per month
- Book allowance – SGD 200 per year (ITE & Polytechnics); SGD 500 per year (Universities)
The duration of the scholarship will be up to 4 years.
Number of Scholarships
PSA intends to award these scholarships annually. The number of scholarships to be awarded each year may vary and depend on the quality of applications received.
The scholarships will be bond free. Scholars, however, are expected to emulate the example of the late Mr Howe and be morally obligated to contribute to society in some way when they graduate and start working.
The application opens on 1 December 2016 and closing dates are as below:
- ITE: 31 January 2017, 5pm
- Polytechnic and University: 15 March 2017, 5pm
Applications for the scholarships are to be made online here.
Completed application form with supporting documents are to be posted and received by the Scholarships Secretariat before the respective closing dates. The forms are to be sent to:
HYC PSA Scholarships Secretariat
Admin Secretariat, Trusted Services Pte Ltd
#06-18 Tower 2
The Atrium @ Orchard
Alternatively, the printed application can be dropped off at the Mail Room, located at Level 1, Tower 2.
Mail Room operating hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm. Closed on Public Holidays.
Please note that only shortlisted applications will be notified by email.
The Howe Yoon Chong PSA Scholarships are administered by Admin Secretariat, Trusted Services (A member of Temasek Management Services Group).
For enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org